Swiss born Herbert Matter is largely credited with expanding the use of photography as a design tool and bringing the semantics of fine art into the realm of applied arts.
Herbert Matter, Swiss photographer and graphic designer, is the author of the most emblematic modern Swiss photographic posters. In 1936 Herbert Matter emigrated to the US, where he worked as a photographer for Vogue and Harper’s Baazar. During the second world war he was commissioned by the US government to design propaganda posters. In 1944, he became the design consultant at Knoll, molding its graphic identity for over 12 years. In 1952, he joined the Yale faculty as professor of photography and graphic design.
known for his pioneering use of photomontage in commercial art.
I just learn about Herbert Matter. His photomontage approach inspires me to use it in my design works. Perhaps after the movie is being release, I will try to arrange with my fellow mates to have a movie hour at our Faculty theaterette. Maybe watching this kind of movie can be our weekly activity for the next semester. who knows? huhu.
Raja Muda Perak Raja Dr Nazrin Shah hari ini mengingatkan rakyat khususnya orang Melayu mengenai tujuh wasiat Raja-Raja Melayu yang menjanjikan kesejahteraan, kedamaian dan keamanan jika mereka bersatu dan berpegang teguh kepadanya. Menurut baginda, wasiat yang disampaikan semasa Raja-Raja Melayu menurunkan tandatangan persetujuan pembentukan Perlembagaan Persekutuan Tanah Melayu pada 5 Ogos 1957 ialah:
- Kami namakan dan kami panggil dia, bumi yang kamu pijak dan langit yang kamu junjung Persekutuan Tanah Melalyu (sekarang dikenali dengan nama Malaysia);
- Kami isytiharkan dan kami simpan untuk kamu dan kami benarkan kamu isytihar dan simpan untuk anak cucu kamu, selain gunung-ganang, tasik dan hutan simpan, Tanah Simpanan Melayu sehingga nisbah 50 peratus, selebihnya kamu rebutlah bersama-sama kaum lain;
- Bagi menjaga kamu dan bagi melindungi anak cucu kamu serta harta hak milik kamu, kami tubuhkan Rejimen Askar Melayu selain untuk membanteras kekacauan dalam negara dan ancaman dari luar negara;
- Kami kekalkan dan kami jamin Kerajaan dan Kedaulatan Raja-Raja Melayu memerintah negara ini;
- Kami isytiharkan Islam adalah Agama Persekutuan;
- Kami tetapkan bahasa kebangsaan ialah Bahasa Melayu;
- Kami amanahkan dan kami pertanggungjawabkan kepada Raja-Raja Melayu untuk melindungi kedudukan istimewa orang Melayu dan Kepentingan sah kaum-kaum lain. (Kemudian ditambah kedudukan istimewa anak negeri Sabah dan Sarawak).
bile baca ni tadi, tetibe cam shiver, buleh rasa mcm daulat raja-raja melayu ni ada.
About The Film
You don’t have to be a Medici or a Rockefeller to collect art, according to Herbert and Dorothy Vogel. This documentary film tells the extraordinary story of Herb, a postal clerk, and Dorothy, a librarian – an ordinary couple of modest means who managed to build one of the most important contemporary art collections in history.
In the early 1960s, when very little attention was paid to Minimalist and Conceptual Art, Herb and Dorothy quietly began purchasing the works of unknown artists. Thirty years on, the Vogels managed to accumulate over 4,000 pieces, filling every corner of their living space from the bathroom to the kitchen. Their apartment was near collapse, holding way over its limit. Something had to be done.
In 1992, the Vogels made headlines that shocked the art world: their entire collection was moved to the National Gallery of Art, the vast majority of it as an outright gift to the institution. Many of the works they acquired at modest prices appreciated so significantly that their collection became worth several million dollars, yet the Vogels never sold a single piece to breakdown the collection.
The Vogels’ discerning taste and magnanimity changed the face of contemporary art collecting. In 2007, James Stourton, the chairman of Sotheby’s UK, included the Vogels in his acclaimed book, Great Collectors of Our Time: Art Collecting Since 1945. Stourton placed Herb and Dorothy among the top art collectors in the world, alongside Getty, Rockefeller and Mellon.
While there are countless films that feature artists, there are few about art collectors. Herb and Dorothy provides a unique chronicle of the world of contemporary art from two unlikely collectors, whose shared passion and discipline defies stereotypes and redefines what it means to be a patron of the arts.
via Herb and Dorothy
current mood : the show / Lenka
so I need stuff to entertain me . . .
Talks by Jacek Utko at TED ( the world’s best newspaper designer ).
Jacek Utko is an extraordinary Polish newspaper designer whose redesigns for papers in Eastern Europe not only win awards, but increase circulation by up to 100%. Can good design save the newspaper? It just might.
I’m crazy for fantabulous layout these days. More inspiration please~ via Jacek Utko
ada sape2 nak teman? =)
Ladang Teh Boh , Sg. Palas, Cameron Highland
1. Take a 10-30 minutes walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
3. Sleep for 7 hours.
4. Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.
5. Play more games.
6. Read more books than you did in 2008.
7. Make time to practice meditation, yoga, and prayer. They provide us with daily fuel for our busy lives.
8. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
9. Dream more while you are awake.
10. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
11. Drink plenty of water.
12. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
13. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip.
14.. Forget issues of the past. Don’t remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
15. Don’t have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
16. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
17. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
18. Smile and laugh more.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don’t hate others.
20. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
21. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
22. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
23. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about. Don’t compare your partner with others.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
25. Forgive everyone for everything.
26.. What other people think of you is none of your business.
27. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
28. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
29. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
30. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
31. The best is yet to come.
32. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
33. Do the right thing!
34. Call your family often.
35. Your inner most is always happy. So be happy.
36. Each day give something good to others.
37. Don’t over do. Keep your limits.
38. Please Forward this to everyone you care about.
credit to ezzwan .